Monday, October 12, 2009

Can I Not Get A Witness


I'm pretty pleased with the veneer work on this table. Debra figured out a great way of slicing all the pie shaped pieces for the top using the Festool plunge saw. The whole thing went together real easy, perfect grain matching all the way around. The finish is another story... I'm doing a full fill high gloss polished finish. After about 15 coats and a couple weeks of cure time I hit it with 800 grit sandpaper to smooth it out. Immediately it starts to get witness lines everywhere. You can see them in the photo below, the hazy squiggly shapes all over the top. This happens when the individual coats of finish sit on top of each other instead of melting together to make on thick coat. The hazy lines are where I sanded through one coat and hit another. The more you sand, the bigger they get.. I've done plenty of polished finishes and have never had this happen. I may have waited too long between coats, or something was up with the finish product. In any case, there's only one way out from here, sand all the finish off and start over...........

2 comments:

BCM said...

Your Back!

Alright, thanks.

Lime's said...

Thank you! I needed a little kick